Delta Waterfowl is changing the way duckhunters and waterfowl managers fit within the landscape of the vast Canadian Duck Factory through ALUS. We’ve learned valuable lessons from the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) in the United States and ALUS is Delta’s vision for creating a program like CRP in Canada. Delta works with farmers in a positive way, and provides economic incentives for them in exchange for habitat protection, enhancement and sound management. We recognize that as duckhunters, we can’t “buy it all” but with the right approach we can change the way the landscape is managed.
Your support will:
- Build partnerships with farmers throughout the Duck Factory.
- Help Delta deliver “on the ground” demonstration projects to showcase ALUS.
- Provide small economic incentives to farmers for multi-year lease agreements.
- Allow Delta and our partners to restore grass and small wetlands.
- Promote the ALUS model for ecological goods and services as a “carrot” rather than a “stick”.
Delta needs your support to help demonstrate the ALUS concept, to showcase the impact that an “ecological goods and services” program can provide, and funding to pay farmers just a little bit for each acre they put under an ALUS agreement. As the structure of ALUS grows, and more and more farm partners come to the table – we are confident that ALUS will move from a demonstration program on small, select sites and will be co-opted by producer groups, agricultural agencies and policy makers. Delta will be there to make sure that ALUS continues to be “good for the ducks.”